RC 14001:2008 Standard for Environmental Management System
The American Chemistry Council (ACC) has created such technical specification that addresses the environment, health, safety and security. The RC 14001:2008 is based on the ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems (EMS) and has been expanded to address the Responsible Care Principles. The registration to RC 14001:2008 standard will address all customer requirements for registration to ISO 14001.
The application of the RC 14001 standard is to provide organizations with the elements of an effectiveEnvironmental, Health, Safety & Security Management System (EHS&SMS) that can be integrated with or into other management systems requirements, to assist organizations achieve their environmental, health, safety, security and economic goals and objectives. The overall aim is to support security, health and safety, environmental protection and prevention of pollution in balance with socioeconomic needs. The success of an EHS&SMS depends on a commitment from all levels and functions within an organization and especially from senior or top management.
Responsible Care principles in some form or other have been long adopted by leading organizations in the chemical industry. Responsible Care was originally started off to address health, safety and environment and gradually expanded to include performance metrics reporting and a Management System Verification (MSV) protocol as a form of evaluation.
The standard is mainly applicable to all types of industries, where the activities of the industry having potential chances of pollution to the environment as well potential health hazards to the employees.
RC 14001 Certification
Roots Management Services is having vast industrial experience of RC 14001 Certification for all types of industries, such as chemicals, pharmaceuticals, engineering etc. RC 14001:2008 certificate is issued under self assessment to ICC members
Steps of RC 14001 consultancy services
Roots provides RC 14001 Consultancy and develops the system for its customers in the following steps;
- Micro–level survey as per RC 14001 for each and every activity of the organization and preparation of detail Gap analysis report,
- Preparation of applicable documents required by RC 14001 standard based on detail study of all activities of the Organizations, such as;
- EHS&SMS Manual,
- EHS&SMS Procedures (Mandatory procedures required by the standard),
- Identification and preparation of Environmental Aspects, OH&S Hazard and its environmental impact, Risks Assessment and security register for all the activities (routine or non–routine) of the Organizations,
- Preparation of all RC 14001 related documents
- Formats to establish the objective evidence of implementation and to ensure control over all the activities.
- RC 14001 training to all levels of employees within the Organization,
- RC 14001 consultancy Helps in effective implementation of system by periodic visit till certification,
- Conduct internal audit to check readiness for the certification.
- Conduct management review meeting in presence of Top Management to guide the Organization for effective implementation on all the issues related to Environmental, Health, Safety & Security Management System,
- Conduct mock drill etc.
- Assessment of system as per RC 14001 guidelines
RC 14001 Requirements
An Organization wish to implement the RC 14001:2008 System has to comply with the following RC 14001 requirements –
|4||Environmental management system requirements|
|4.3.2||Legal and other requirements|
|4.3.3||Objectives, targets and programme(s)|
|4.4||Implementation and operation|