ISO 14001:2004 Standard for Environmental Management System
ISO (International Organization for Standardization) is a worldwide federation of national standards bodies (ISO member bodies).ISO 14001 Environmental management systems — Requirements with guidance for use was initially published in year 1996 and then it was revised in 2004. At present the 2004 version is in the implementation. The ISO 14001:2004 standard is mainly applicable to all types of industries, where the activities of the industry having potential chances of pollution to the environment. The standard is developed based on the Plan–Do–Check–Act (P–D–C–A) cycle. This standard can be implemented by the industry, who wishes to;
- Establish, implement, maintain and improve an environmental management system,
- Assure itself of conformity with its stated environmental policy,
- Demonstrate conformity with ISO 14001:2004
Benefits of ISO 14001 Environment Management System
- Avoidance of fines due to compliance with all identified legal requirements,
- Identification of possible areas, which can save costs such as recycling, landfill costs, utilities etc.
- Use of competitive advantage
- Improved Public relations
- Improves environmental awareness amongst all employees.
- Operators educate on how process may cause environmental liabilities.
- Improve process operation
- Creates and builds detailed and relevant environmental data.
- Provides a structured framework for management for all environmental issues
- Better relation with regulatory and licensing authorizations.
- Positive response from investors, lenders and insurers
ISO 14001 Certification
ISO 14001 Certificate is issued by Certifying body, which is accredited to provide certificate under the ISO 14001:2004. The iso 14001 certificate is issued for the period of 3 years after successful completion of pre–assessment and registration (Final) assessment. Surveillance audits are conducted by the Certifying body within the period of 3 years at the interval of 6 Months, 9 Months or 12 Months depending upon the nature and size of the Organization. Upon completion of 3 years, renewal audit is done for new 3 years cycle.
Steps of ISO 14001 Consultancy Service
Roots Management Services is having vast industrial experience in the implementation of environmental management system and ISO 14001 consultancy for all types of industries, such as chemicals, pharmaceuticals, engineering etc. Roots develops the system for its customers in the following manners;
- Micro–level survey for each and every activity of the organization and preparation of detail Gap analysis report,
- Preparation of applicable documents required by ISO 14001:2004 based on detail study of all activities of the Organizations, such as;
- Environmental Management System Manual,
- Environmental Management System Procedures (Mandatory procedures required by the standard),
- Identification and preparation of Environmental Aspects and its environmental impact register
- Identification of applicable acts, rules etc. and preparation of Register of rules and regulations (ROR),
- Major emergency preparedness (Onsite Offsite emergency plan) and Contingency plan,
- Formats to establish the objective evidence of implementation and to ensure control over all the activities.
- ISO 14001 Training to all levels of employees within the Organization
- Helps in effective implementation of system by periodic visit till certification and conduct mock drils
- Conduct internal audit to check readiness for the iso 14001 certification
- Conduct management review meeting in presence of Top Management to guide the Organization for effective implementation on all the issues related to environmental management system
- ISO 14001 onsite adequacy audit and certification audit by certifying body