FAMI-QS is the Quality and Safety System for Specialty Feed Ingredients and their Mixtures. Since 2004, representatives of the above-mentioned Industry have worked together to devise FAMI-QS, the first code aimed at this sector of the animal feed business.
The FAMI-QS Code addresses safety, quality and regulatory compliance of specialty feed ingredients and their mixtures. The FAMI-QS code is designed for international validity; thus, participants in FAMI-QS can be found all over the world. Today, certified companies are spread across more than 45 countries. Furthermore, we have a worldwide network of certification bodies which allows the implementation of FAMI-QS in any part of the globe.
FAMI-QS is a pioneer in its field as it is the only certifiable code specifically aimed at specialty feed ingredients and their mixtures. It was also the first Community Guide to Good Practice to obtain official recognition from the European Commission as foreseen in the Feed Hygiene Regulation. Fami-QS Certificate is issued by Certifying body, which is accredited to provide certificate under the Fami-QS. This certificate is issued for the period of 3 years after successful completion of pre–assessment and registration (Final) assessment. Surveillance audits are conducted by the certifying body within the period of 3 years at the interval of 9 Months or 12 Months depending upon the nature and size of the Organization. Upon completion of 3 years, renewal audit is done for new 3 years cycle.
Steps for Fami-QS Consultancy
- Micro level survey of the existing system and submit gap analysis report
- Conduct Fami-QS awareness program for all employees
- Form a steering committee and task force for documentation
- Define policy and establish objectives
- Prepare documents of Fami-QS feed safety management system.
- Implementation & train all personnel in the use of procedures & formats.
- Also give training to employee related to Food safety hazards identification evaluation and control.
- Train internal auditors.
- Assess the system through first internal audit.
- Take corrective actions for non-conformities.
- Do the registration to FAMI-QS certification
- Pay fees to FAMI-QS (Fees to be paid annually directly to FAMI-QS)
- Assess the system through second round of internal audit by Roots auditors.
- Avail pre-certification audit of certifying body.( Optional)
- Take actions on suggestions given by them.
- Final audit by certifying body.
- Close findings of Fami-QS certification audit
Benefits of Fami-QS
- A preventative approach to food/feed safety
- Can help identify process improvements & reduced customer complaints
- Conformance to Legal and Regulatory Requirements(EU regulations)
- Systematic approach to meet the requirement for feed safety.
- Ability to Differentiate Organisation for Competitive Advantage
- Systematic management of GMP requirements (Prerequisite programs).
- Hazard analysis to evaluate threats to food safety.
- Dynamic communication on food safety issues with suppliers, customers, regulators and other interested parties.
- Reduces the need for, and the cost of end product testing
Fami QS Requirements
- HACCP requirements
- General requirements
- Documentation requirements
- Management commitment
- Resources requirements