CMMI standard for capability maturity model is a proven approach to performance management with decades of results showing it works. Organizations having CMMI certification have predictable cost, schedule, effectiveness and quality—business results that serve as discriminators among their competitors.
CMMI Certification requires implementation of CMMI, whhich is built with practices and goals seen in thousands of real organizations worldwide. Use these practices and goals to evaluate your own performance and decide what to improve for your own business reasons. CMMI is popular in software industries since is development. It defines the process of implementation of projects as per their maturity levels.
What is Maturity Level in CMMI Certification
The maturity level in CMMI certification is a well-defined evolutionary toward achieving a mature software process. Each maturity level provides a layer in the foundation for continuous process improvement. The Capability Maturity Model and its successor the Capability Maturity Model Integration are process improvement models applied to improving software development. They are based on five maturity levels that predict an organization’s capability to successfully develop software based on process discipline.
In CMMI models with a staged representation and continuous approach, there are five maturity levels designated as follows:
- CMMI certification Maturity Level 1 – InitialThe organization at CMM maturity level 1 is in the initial stage of development, in which generally organizations does not provide stable environment. In this level 1, organization and its success depends only on the employees ability and competence of the people involved in organization and not on the proven processes.
- CMMI Certification Maturity Level 2 – ManagedThe Organization with CMM maturity level 2 has achieved all specific and generic goal defined at the maturity level 2 for process requirements, processes, work products, and services and main focus is on project management. The work products as well as work instruction and services satisfy their requirements, specified objectives.
- CMMI Certification Maturity Level 3 – DefinedThe organization with CMM maturity level 3, has achieved all the specific and generic goals of the process areas assigned to maturity levels 2 and 3. In this level of maturity, processes are well characterized and understood, and are described at organization level.
- CMMI Certification Maturity Level 4 – Quantitatively ManagedThe organization with maturity level 4 has used quantitative metrics, including statistics, to control key processes and subprocesses. Numeric goals are established for quality and performance.
- CMMI Certification Maturity Level 5 – OptimizingOrganizations at maturity level 5 have developed continually improving process performance, based on a detailed understanding of the relationships between the processes and quantitative monitoring of process performance. Level 5 organizations develop processes to address the common causes of process delay and variation, and to change processes to improve performance.
CMMI Certification Consultancy – Roots Management
The CMMI certification is one of many goals representing the company’s commitment to achieving high level of excellence performance in the area of software development as well as project management. Roots Management Services associated with many software companies globally and helped them to implements system under well structured our CMMI certification consultancy in their organization which resulted in easy CMMI certification.
In CMMI, Assessment is conducted by team of Assessment Team Members (ATM members which involves the Lead Appraiser as Team Leader) whereas certifications are generally conducted by team Auditors and Lead Auditors. CMMI Assessments are based on the collective evidences conducted from available documentation (direct and indirect) and participant’s interviews (oral affirmations) whereas Certifications primarily are conducted to evaluate the activities (through inspections) and records (documents). The CMMI appraisal is done only by SEI recognized CMMI appraisal body as per SCAMPI guidelines and such certificate is valid for 3 years.
Steps for CMMI Certification
- Awareness training for CMMI to core team members
- Carry out as is process analysis to determine CMMII process gaps and carry out initial gap analysis
- Prepare road map for system design and system implementation.
- Identify core team for implementation and form task force(Finalize organization structure)
- Provide documentation, fine tuning and implementation for every element of CMMI certification level2 to level5-22 processes
- Help organization design processes to meet applicable CMMI process requirements.
- Training program on CMMI�documentation and forms/templates training
- Identifying the metrics and complete data analysis
- Selection of appraisal body and helping in finalizing them
- Conduct CMMI official training for identified team members
- Mock round of internal auditing for project management and engineering processes mock review. Also micro level system review for support and organizational processes
- Support for Fine tuning of the system and actions for project management and engineering weakness and strengthen organizational processes
- Appraisal body initial review of the system
- Suggestions on the actions of audit findings and management review meetings
- Assess the system through first internal audit. Monitor progress by mini appraisal.
- Support during final assessment by appraisal body as per SCAMPI guidelines
Benefits of CMMI Certification
Following are the key benefits that organization can achieve after CMMI certification under our CMMI consultancy:
- Proven framework for program planning and execution
- Measurable impacts on business effectiveness
- Managed cost, schedule, quality, predictability
- Brings integrity and discipline to competition and program execution
- Increase level of communication between employees of the organization
- Improved communication paths and stakeholder involvement
- Identification of process gaps and institutionalization needs
- Improves management visibility and oversight of program execution
CMMI Certification Requirements
CMMI is based on process improvement guidelines and the company needs to implement 22 processes for CMMI certification as listed below.
- Causal Analysis and Resolution (CAR)
- Configuration Management (CM)
- Decision Analysis and Resolution (DAR)
- Integrated Project Management (IPM)
- Measurement and Analysis (MA)
- Organizational Process Definition (OPD)
- Organizational Process Focus (OPF)
- Organizational Performance Management (OPM)
- Organizational Process Performance (OPP)
- Organizational Training (OT)
- Product Integration (PI)
- Project Monitoring and Control (PMC)
- Project Planning (PP)
- Process and Product Quality Assurance (PPQA)
- Quantitative Project Management (QPM)
- Requirements Development (RD)
- Requirements Management (REQM)
- Risk Management (RSKM)
- Supplier Agreement Management (SAM)
- Technical Solution (TS)
- Validation (VAL)
- Verification (VER)