CE marking is a declaration by the manufacturer that the product meets all the appropriate provisions of the relevant legislation implementing applicable European Directives. CE marking gives companies easier access into the European market to sell their products without adaptation or rechecking. The CE certification is applicable to the products like machines, pumps, valves, all pressure equipments, electrical items and medical devices etc. The initials “CE” are declaration by the manufacturer that his product meets the requirements of the applicable European Directive(s).
Assess the applicable Directive applies to your product. CE marking only applies to products within the scope of these Directives. It should not be applied to products, if they are outside the scope of the Directives.
If you are manufacturer and are planning to export a product, which falls within the scope of the markets in any of the member states of the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) then it is necessary that you apply for CE marking of your products against the essential requirements of all the applicable directives. Please note that CE Mark is a mandatory mark for most (around 70%) of the products sold on the EU market (totaling 28 countries). The New Approach Directives will provide a range of compliance routes for your product and show you, usually in a modular format, the available routes to compliance. You must then decide which is the best fit for your company set up and follow the routes detailed in the Directive. In many cases the compliance route will require you to use a Notified Body to assist with your certification. The essential requirements of the New Approach Directives differ from directive to directive and product to product. If the new product directives apply to your products and you want to continue to export to the European market (or introduce new products), then CE Marking will be crucial to your success.
Why CE Marking
The CE Mark is a conformity marking consisting of the letters CE. The CE Marking applies to products regulated by certain European health, safety and environmental protection legislation. The CE Marking is obligatory for products it applies to: the manufacturer affixes the marking in order to be allowed to sell his product in the European market.
CE is an abbreviation for Conformity de European, French for European Conformity. The CE Mark indicates that the product it is affixed to conforms to all relevant essential requirements and other applicable provisions that have been imposed upon it by means of European directives, and that the product has been subject to the appropriate conformity assessment procedure(s). The essential requirements refer, among other things, to safety, public health and consumer protection.
The CE Marking is not a quality mark. First, it refers to safety rather than to the quality of a product. Second, CE Marking is mandatory for the product it applies to, whereas most quality markings are voluntary.
The CE certification is a declaration by the manufacturer that the product meets all the appropriate provisions of the relevant legislation implementing certain “European Directives”. “CE marking” gives companies easier access into the European market to sell their products without adaptation or rechecking. The initials “CE” do not stand for any specific words but are a declaration by the manufacturer that his product meets the requirements of the applicable European Directives. IN some category like PED and identified category by EU the assessment by third party is required for ce certification.
Benefits of CE Certification
- With this “passport” your products can easily gain access to the entire European Union (EU) plus European Free Trade Association (EFTA) market.
- There will be only one set of laws and regulations for the entire marketplace which guide the designing, manufacturing and labeling of products. The multiple and conflicting national restrictions on regulated products will be eliminated. Thus the CE Marking on your product will make your trade with EU countries cheaper and easier.
- Your product will be made safer for consumers and thus the damage claims and liability premiums will be reduced.
Steps for CE Certification Consultancy
For CE certification consultancy in India, Roots management follows bellow steps which gave us 100% results of success while providing our consultancy for various manufacturing units in India for CE marking their products.
- Micro level survey carried out of your organization by our experts and does Gap Analysis.
- Identifying applicable directive/s
- Identifying harmonized standards,
- Test your product to ascertain, compliance with the requirements,
- Make a test report
- Make Technical Construction File
- Prepare a technical file documenting compliance with the applicable requirements.
- Prepare and sign a manufacturer’s self-declaration of conformity.
- Apply the CE Mark to the product.
- Declaration of conformity, Instruction booklet for safe use and maintenance.
Requirements for CE Marking
- CONTROLS ON PRODUCTS: Products subject to certain EC directives providing for CE marking have to be affixed with the CE marking before they can be placed on the market.
- APPLICABLE EU DIRECTIVES: Manufacturers have to check, on their sole responsibility, which EU directives they need to apply for their products.
- CONFORMITY ASSESSMENT PROCEDURE: The product may be placed on the market only if it complies with the provisions of all applicable directives and if the conformity assessment procedure has been carried out accordingly.
- EC DECLARATION: The manufacturer draws up an EC declaration of conformity and affixes the CE marking on the product.
- THIRD PARTY ASSESSMENT: If stipulated in the directive(s), an authorized third party must be involved in the conformity assessment procedure.
- USE OF LOGO: If the CE marking is affixed on any product, the size of the CE marking must be at least 5 mm, if enlarged its proportions have to be kept. it can bear additional markings only, if they are of different significance, do not overlap with the CE marking and are not confusing and do not impair the legibility and visibility of the CE marking.